Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Here there be castles.

I have too much to say to make much sense, so I am going to pull an Emily and make a LIST.

Things that make me happy (there are a lot):
  • SCOTTISH ACCENTS.
  • Getting off the plane in Heathrow and discovering that the terminal is really a mall in disguise; not only that, but there was a live band playing Cuban salsa music, and waiters with little shot-glass samples of cuban rum mixed drinks, to go with the music. So tasty :D
  • BRITISH ACCENTS.
  • Meeting new flatmates. Not only are they nice, funny, and generally amiable people, but they also listen to fun music (yaaay Lady Gaga!) and like to party. Apparently a lot. As does most of the UK, it seems.
  • The view out my window (photos to come soon)! Snow-topped roofs and chimneys and some sort of tower-dome-thing. (I am soooo articulate.)
  • The fact that there is a CASTLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY. SO wonderful.
  • How compact Edinburgh is. In a few hours, I walked all around got damp sore feet, but saw so much!
  • Getting lost. You find the best things that way (like a farmer's market, woooo!).
  • 50p coins, and pound coins.
  • The fact that despite all the complaints I have been hearing about the cold, it is still 25 degrees warmer here than it is in Minnesota.
  • My bed! Not as soft as the one I left in St. Paul, but still very cozy. It made getting over jet lag much easier.
  • Neck pillows. Lovelovelove.
  • "The Best Hot Chocolate in the World!" Sold in a tiny little cafe, and topped with not only whipped cream and multicolored marshmallows, but also caramel, sprinkles, wafers of chocolate, and caramel-coated kettle-corn. Having not tried all the hot chocolates in the world I can't claim it's the best, but it was pretty darn good. Nearly passed out from the sugar though...
  • Did I mention the accents?
  • Overhearing conversations. I was standing in line for the bank and two University-aged boys walked in. They both had rather nice accenst; British though, not Scottish, alas.
              Taller Boy: "So... who'd you kiss last night?"
              Spiky Hair: "Well... lots of people." (laughs)
              Taller Boy: "Sure. But which BOY did you kiss?"
              Spiky Hair: "Wha... Boy... er." (shifts uncomfortably)
              Taller Boy: (to me) "He kissed a BOY last night."
              Spiky Hair: (conspiratorially) "I was REALLY drunk."
              Taller Boy: "And you were ragging on me for doing the same thing last month!"
              Hah. :D
  • Inheriting things from the pervious residents of my room. Hangers, mirror, extra pillows,...
  • Recognizing other new international students by their bags of necessities and their lost expressions. I have already met five or six people from the states... haha
  • Urban buildings, with stores downstairs and flats on top. Especially when they are built of stone! It seems like all of Edinburgh is!
  • The accents. Once again. So much love.
  • University of Edinburgh welcome activities. They have a University sponsored pub crawl/walking tour of the city, to show us the sights and - most importantly - the bars. I am excited.
I am in love, my friends.
 This is the view out my window! lovely lovely




 The Royal Mile




 Waverly station, I think




 The castle, of course. Huzzah!




 Sun through stained glass






 The farmer's market I stumbled upon! 



Our Mascot, as he should look! I think we should get rid of silly looking Mac the Scottie and have this guy at our soccer games instead.









"The Best Hot Chocolate in the World!"

2 comments:

  1. It makes me enormously happy that you referred to making a list as "pulling an Emily" :D But more importantly, I love you heaps and I wish I were there!! (I can study abroad twice, right? ...right???) It looks completely gorgeous and I know you will have an amazing time. Now pardon me while I check ticket prices from St. Paul to Edingburgh. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU. Be online someday, okay? We needs to chat, my precious. :D

    ReplyDelete