Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

I'm leaving, on a jet plane...

It is a funny thing, that a single trip can be two different experiences at once: Leaving, and Going. Leaving is miserable. I hate saying goodbye, I always cry, and I have the exquisite blessing and curse of having a wonderful, hilarious, fantastic family whom I not only love but also like spending time with which makes the parting even more difficult. I like my home, I love my decrepit old dog, and boy oh boy do I like California weather. Leaving generally sucks. But Going... Going is another matter all together.

I am currently sitting in the International airport of good ol' Sacatomatoes, and my bags are packed, checked, and far too full to be allowed, honestly, and I am getting ready to get on a plane to Dallas, where I will get on a plane to London, where I will (assuming I survive customs) get on a plane for Edinburgh. Oh, my god. About that, I am extremely excited. Going is something I like, something I do well, something I intend to do rather a lot of in my life. I have grand plans of seeing the world, and traveling just about everywhere. Edinburgh is just the first step. Look out world, here I come! Hahaha!

I hate to leave, but can't wait to go.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the video you posted in your last blog entry. What a crazy mix of pretty places, beautiful music, and awesome biking. Thanks for sharing.

    So wow, you're off to Edinburgh already! Exciting! I can't wait to go abroad myself - I'm in the midst of some applications (and obviously procrastinating).

    At the risk of exacerbating your self-absorption problem (which I haven't even been close to noticing), I really liked your reflection on the duality of the act of traveling - it's always leaving and going. It's like the fine line between being alone and lonely. Sometimes they converge and it can be wild, bittersweet, or shitty, and sometimes you're too excited and carefree to notice one or the other but anyways, I liked the way you worded it.

    Keep musing, travel safely, and have tons of fun (preferably documented in pictures and funny anecdotes). I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed the video Ayaka ~ it made me smile lots. And yes, it is ACTUALLY that pretty here, though I am not mad enough to go biking down cliff faces or anything... Haha.

    I am glad you are thinking about going abroad (and yes, procrastination is the only way to do it~ turned my app into the Mac office the day it was due); where are you thinking of going? And for which semester? (Don't you DARE go for the whole year. I will not permit it. Hah.) I am sorry that you guys have to deal with the single early due date, though really, I think that will make your lives much easier in the long, especially in the realm of buying plane tickets (gaah so expensive!). Best of luck with that.

    Keep me updated on your life! I am truly, honest-to-goodness loving it here, but that doesn't mean I don't miss you all, and am probably going to miss Mac too after a while. :) I hope the rest of your break goes well, and that semester is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete